Tuesday, May 4, 2010

F.R.I.E.N.D.S.

When Friends first went on the air a critic claimed the show had "no sex and bad jobs". Interesting because in episode one Monica sleeps with someone on the first date and we all know that paleontologist is the best job on the planet...right? In another interview the writers said that they wanted to write a series about your late twenties, "a time in your life when your friends are your family".


College has been a true experience. It wasn't until last year that I really experienced what the writers were talking about though. Last year I was blessed with the kind of friends that could act as my support system and family. I could walk in the front door and they would know what kind of mood I was in, and on top of that, all I would have to do is say one word and they knew what was wrong or right in my world at any given time. Those sorts of people are special.


I know that when I reflect on my college experience, that will be the year I think of. I will always remember dinner parties with friends; debating politics, religion and current events with other educated individuals who may have different opinions but always have respect. Making enough food to feed a village and staying up into the night without t.v. on, just celebrating our relationships.



I'll remember Jordan teaching me about the history of mankind and anthropology; and complaining about the 20 textbooks she had to read that semester. I'll remember Hillary shoving me out of the way so that she could do the dishes, even though she already made dinner. I'll remember Corynn wearing shawls and dresses of every color, sitting on the floor, pleading with Cody to make pumpkin pie. I'll remember Sean thanking me for feeding him and knowing that his thanks were genuine. I'll remember Joe bringing me pictures of his life in Etna, just so he could tell me stories about how he lives his life. I'll remember Cody grabbing the cookie dough bowl and mixing it for me when he knows I have another billion things on my mind.


So they may not be Joey, Chandler, Ross, Pheobe, Rachael or Monica, but I'll take them.


Because as much as I love the Friends gang....
I love my friends gang more.

Too often we forget about what matters in life, we forget to appreciate the people who make our lives great. The bottom line is my work won't bring me soup when I'm sick, my homework won't hold my hand when I cry and my busy schedule won't ever be enough for me. Humans need interaction, we are biologically programmed for loving relationships. I have many of them in my life. And I need to remember to be thankful for those people.
We All Do.

4 comments:

  1. LAST YEAR WAS THE "COLLEGE EXPERIENCE"....Lets see what next year brings!!!!!

    -cody

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next year...will be a whole new experience. Let's rock it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. um. tear.... and goosypimples.
    i love you too! and we did have a blast and we have many more years of awesomenessness to come. we are in da pribe of libe. (i dont wanna be in da pribe of libe)

    our dinner partays next year will put last years to shame. SHAME.

    now all i want to do is watch FRIENDS. mamma calls them my FRIENDS and they are but they will never even come close to you guys.

    love you

    oh this is hillary by the way:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness Christina this was just about the sweetest thing I've read in a long time! I miss you, my dear. I'm sorry that I haven't been in contact very much recently- I've found myself drowning in finals- which can you please tell me why I am caring about them at all in the first place? I'm not transferring them, lol.

    I'm sorry I haven't visited too, though to be honest I'm not sure I can get up there any time soon because I feel bad asking for any time off work cause I asked for a WHOLE MONTH off and they gave it to me. (Grandpa from Germany visiting and then off to New Mexico to find a place to live and off to not ONE but TWO family reunions, lol)

    Anyway please call me, I haven't heard from you and am worried about you. Tell me all about what's going on!

    - FROM JORDAN!

    ReplyDelete