Saturday, May 8, 2010

Food Inc.

I was avoiding the documentary Food, Inc. for awhile; I knew it would be disgusting, horrifying and revolting. I knew it would likely make me hate my government and big business. I knew it would leave me with outraged questions, ready to hop a plane to D.C. and start lobbying my ass off.

It didn't disappoint.

Please watch this film. Encourage the ones you love to watch this film. Buy local, make an educated vote and TP the White House. And if my words aren't enough to encourage you to do so; here is some information from their site to freak you out...you know, in a good way.

"Approximately 10 billion animals (chickens, cattle, hogs, ducks, turkeys, lambs, and sheep) are raised and killed in the US annually. Nearly all of them are raised on factory farms under inhumane conditions. These industrial farms are also dangerous for their workers, pollute surrounding communities, are unsafe to our food system and contribute significantly to global warming."

"In Food, Inc. we meet Barbara Kowalcyk, whose 2 year old son, Kevin, died from E.Coli poisoning after eating a hamburger. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that 76 million Americans are sickened, 325,000 are hospitalized and 5,000 die each year from foodborne illnesses. Although Kevin's law is not in Congress right now, there are other important national food safety legislation pending now for you to support."

"Did you know that the average food product travels about 1,500 miles to get to your grocery store. And that transporting food accounts for 30,800 tons of greenhouse gas emissions every year?"

"In January 2008, the FDA approved the sale of meat and milk from cloned livestock, despite the fact that Congress voted twice in 2007 to delay FDA's decision on cloned animals until additional safety and economic studies could be completed."

For more information please rent the movie or visit their website at the following link:
http://www.foodincmovie.com/

3 comments:

  1. ps. look at me learning how to comment really well all on my own. (after your help:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. true dat!!!

    buy from your local farmers and hillarys daddy!

    i dont know if i can watch the movie because it hurts too badly to know that people know this and still dont do anything about it. however i know thats not a reason not to watch it and is a very naive comment.

    and YES IM HERE AND IM COMMENTING ON THIS HERE BLOGGYPOO CUZ I READ IT AND I LOBBB IT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. teehee. sorry i forgot to write that it was me Hillary plankton on the last two commentarios.

    this one is also hillary

    ReplyDelete